|MC/43||United Hospitals Medical Center
Arranged and Described
by Sarah Hull
UMDNJ Libraries -- Special Collections Department
University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey
The records of the United Hospitals Medical Center date from 1873 to 1996, but consist mainly of documents from 1915 to 1950. The collection totals approximately 7 linear feet. They form Manuscript Collection 43 in the New Jersey Medical History Manuscript Collections. The records are open for research without restrictions under the conditions of the Archives' access policy. See also Manuscript Collection 31 for related materials from the Charitable Eye and Ear Infirmary of Newark.
United Healthcare Systems, Inc. (formally United Hospitals Medical Center) was established in 1957. Four medical facilities of Newark comprised United Hospitals Medical Center: Presbyterian Hospital, Babies' Hospital (later Children's Hospital), the Hospital for Crippled Children, and the Newark Eye and Ear Infirmary. Later, the Eye Institute of New Jersey and the Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation established affiliations.
Newark Eye and Ear Infirmary
In 1880, Dr. Charles J. Kipp (1838-1911) founded the Newark Charitable Eye and Ear Infirmary as a source of free medical treatment for Newark residents with eye and ear diseases. Dr. Kipp became the president of the American Ophthalmological Society in 1907 and the American Otological Society in 1908. The Newark Charitable Eye and Ear Infirmary occupied a private residence at High and Sterling Streets. Initially, generous members and philanthropists such as John Herbert Ballantine and the Clark, Frelinghuysen, and Murphy families funded the Infirmary. The Newark Charitable Eye and Ear received its first endowment of $50,000 in 1903. Five years later, the facility moved to 77 Central Avenue, where it stood until it merged into the United Hospitals Medical Center (UHMC) in 1957. Also in 1918, the Newark Charitable Eye and Ear Infirmary simply became the Newark Eye and Ear Infirmary (NEEI).
In 1952 NEEI opened the first glaucoma clinic, the Visual Rehabilitation Center, in New Jersey, and in 1953 it established the Henry C. Barkhorn Memorial Speech and Hearing Center. Dr. Wells P. Eagleton (1865-1946), formerly a president of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology, further developed NEEI. Dr. Eagleton was well known for his work on the brain and mastoid regions, and his treatise on "Brain Abscess." Later, Dr. Richard Swain, a director of NEEI, fostered new ideas in teaching and residency programs.
In addition to training, research, and medical care, NEEI had a large nursing school and residence. In 1970, the Eye Institute of New Jersey was founded at NEEI for special services and research. Both NEEI and the Eye Institute served as primary teaching sites for the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey's (UMDNJ) residency training program in ophthalmology. See also MC/31 The Newark Charitable Eye and Ear Infirmary, 1880-1982, for additional information; a finding aid is available.
Crippled Children's Hospital
In 1892, Samuel A. Darrach conceived of a hospital especially for crippled children. Darrach, a maker of orthopedic braces, took an interest in the welfare of three injured children. He consulted with the Roseville Benevolent Society, a womens' group who did sewing for the poor. The Society rented a four-room flat at 66 South 8th Street. One year later, they rented another. In 1892 the Roseville Benevolent Society changed its name to the "Home for Crippled Children." A new facility was built at Park and Clifton Avenues, in 1897, through the efforts of John H. Ballantine and Dr. Fewsmith. The "Ballantine Building" was erected in 1908 at Park Avenue and Ridge Street. The organization reincorporated in 1925 as the "Hospital and Home for Crippled Children," and another brand new facility was built in 1926. The corporate name changed again in 1948 to the "Hospital for Crippled Children and Adults," which concentrated on bone surgery and also cared for paraplegic miners, paralyzed in underground accidents.
In 1958 Crippled Children's joined United Hospitals and became known as United Hospitals Orthopedic Center. It maintained its goals of correcting deformities and reconstructing injured joints. It initiated a joint replacement program in 1970. Due to its success, the Orthopedic Center became well known across the east coast. The Center was the main orthopedic teaching hospital for UMDNJ. Additionally, in the 1980s Crippled Children's had the first bone bank in the state.
Babies' or Children's Hospital
In 1896 Dr. Henry Leber Coit (1854-1917), a pioneer in American Pediatrics and the originator of certified milk, founded Babies' Hospital in Newark. He was assisted by Dr. Edward J. Ill (1854-1942), among others. Babies' Hospital occupied two adjoining buildings at High and Bank Streets. It was the first facility prepared to receive sick children under five years old. Dr. Kipp of the Newark Eye and Ear Infirmary became the President of Babies' first Board of Directors. The Hospital raised $560,000 in its 1928 building fund drive. The new facility and Nurses' Home at 15 Roseville Avenue opened in January 1930. It was formally named Babies' Hospital - Coit Memorial, in Dr. Coit's honor, after the Roseville reconstruction.
Children's Hospital was a complete diagnostic and treatment center for infants, children and adolescents. In 1980, Children's Hospital of Newark changed its name to Children's Hospital of New Jersey, reflecting its evolution into a statewide resource for the care of sick children. Together with UMDNJ and United Hospitals Medical Center, Children's Hospital provided New Jersey with excellent programs in pediatric teaching, service, and research.
Reverend A. N. Stubblebine, the pastor of Bethany Presbyterian Church, organized a sanitary milk dispensary health service near the church. In 1909 Reverend Davis Lusk developed the dispensary into a hospital, "Bethany Presbyterian Hospital," and became its first president. Officially named in May 1910, the "Presbyterian Hospital in Newark, New Jersey" was located in the Elias Ward Mansion on South 9th Street. It opened in 1912 with 24 beds. Dr. Samuel E. Robertson, lifelong advocate of an open hospital and originator of the Newark Anti-Tuberculosis Association, was Presbyterian's Medical Director from 1910 until his death in 1925. By 1919 the Hospital purchased six houses on South 9th St. to meet service demands. In 1926, the city condemned all six as fire risks. A new, six-story building with 300 beds opened on January 10, 1929.
Presbyterian was widely known for surgery of the abdominal tract, its Stevenson Cancer Clinic (est. 1959), and a speech clinic established by Dr. Henry B. Orton. The Hospital maintained its standards of excellence after the merger with United Hospitals. The first heart registry and the first closed heart surgery in New Jersey occurred at Presbyterian. In addition, the state's first moving heart motion pictures were taken there.
United Hospitals Medical Center
Newark Eye and Ear Infirmary, The Hospital for Crippled Children and Adults, Children's Hospital and Presbyterian Hospital merged together in 1958 and became United Hospitals Medical Center of Newark. Each hospital retained its identity and special medical services. As Presbyterian was the largest of the four, the smaller three relocated to its vicinity. They were managed by a joint board, headed by Arthur Lunn, the president of Presbyterian. The heads of the other hospitals became vice presidents of the new United Hospitals of Newark. In this way, United Hospital consisted of four, nonprofit, acute care hospitals serving the residents of New Jersey and Newark, in particular. The four units included one general hospital (Presbyterian) and three specialty units (Newark Eye and Ear, Crippled Children's, and Children's Hospital). The Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation in West Orange became an affiliate of the United Hospitals in April 1959.
Three decades later, the United Hospitals Medical Center (UHMC) began to undergo a series of difficulties from which it would never recover. In 1989, four chiefs of the medical staff confronted UHMC president Dr. James R. Cowan, Jr. with allegations of graft and mismanagement. Cowan's resignation caused an internal power struggle between the two boards of trustees over control of United. The trustees of UHMC sued those of Careways, Inc., a corporation created by United to handle for-profit ventures, who claimed to be the chief governing power. The United trustees accused the other board of plotting to seize control of the community hospital and the $113 million Children's Hospital, which United had planned to build at UMDNJ-Newark. The problems halted temporarily when the acting administrator Ronald DiVito, Chairman of Careways, was accused of serious misconduct.
By 1989 United was loosing millions of dollars and borrowing critical supplies from other hospitals. Bernard Dickens, Sr., the new president, was assigned the task of recovering from an enormous deficit and replacing an administration charged with misconduct and misappropriation. A criminal investigation and indictment of Dr. Cowan began in December 1990. He was charged with accepting bribes, theft of hospital property, and corporate misconduct. In April 1991, he pled to one count of corporate misconduct and admitted to accepting bribes. He had to pay $100,000 in restitution to UHMC, and was sentenced to three years probation and 200 hours of community service.
A second inner struggle ensued, but this time it occurred between Dickens and another newly appointed administrator, Bernard Rabinowitz. Rabinowitz, UHMC Chairman, accused Dickens of moving too slowly to get the job done, and Dickens accused Rabinowitz of interfering. Dickens was terminated for "marginal performance" in 1991. By 1993, the new health care reforms in New Jersey, which deregulated hospital rates, threatened hospitals like UHMC with high Medicaid payments.
United Hospitals Medical Center became the United Healthcare System (UHS) in May 1995, when a partnership between United and St. Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston began. The 449-bed facility was composed of the United Medical Center, United-The Children's Hospital of New Jersey and the United Family Health Centers (off site clinics located in five Newark neighborhoods). In October 1995, OSHA penalized UHS with $168,000 in serious violations of federal standards. By January 1997, UHS was $50 million in debt, and by March they had claimed bankruptcy.
St. Barnabas Health Care System took over United and closed the Newark hospital. The patients were transferred and all jobs were eventually eliminated.
Machuta, Mary. United Hospitals Medical Center. May 16, 1989.
See Also the Vertical Files for:
NJM-Hospital-Newark/Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation
NJM-Hospital-Newark/Newark Eye and Ear Infirmary
NJ Biographical-Coit, Dr. Henry Leber
NJ Biographical-Eagleton, Dr. Wells P.
NJ Biographical-Kipp, Dr. Charles J.
NJ Biographical-Ill, Dr. Edward J.
The records of the United Hospitals Medical Center were donated to the UMDNJ Special Collections Department by Quorum Health Resources, Inc. on behalf of United Healthcare Systems, Inc. The Deed of Gift dates October 27, 1997.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
The records of United Healthcare Systems, Inc. (United Hospitals Medical Center) date from 1873 to 1996, but consist mainly of materials from 1915 to 1950. The collection documents the activities of United Healthcare Systems, Inc. from the establishment of its four individual hospital units in the nineteenth century, their merger as United Hospitals Medical Center in 1958, to the beginnings of its corporate demise in 1996. Materials represent all four hospital units including, Newark Eye and Ear Infirmary, Children's (or Babies') Hospital, Presbyterian Hospital, and the Hospital and Home for Crippled Children and Adults.
Time periods best represented in the collection are the late 1930s to the late 1950s, and the 1970s. The years most sparsely documented are the late 1870s to 1900 and the late 1980s to mid 1990s. The hospitals best represented are Presbyterian and United Hospitals Medical Center, as a whole. The hospitals least represented are the Hospital and Home for Crippled Children and Adults and the Newark Eye and Ear Infirmary.
The records are grouped into 6 series: NEWARK EYE AND EAR INFIRMARY, BABIES' HOSPITAL, PRESBYTERIAN HOSPITAL, UNITED HOSPITALS MEDICAL CENTER, THE UNITED HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS (UHS) ARCHIVAL FILE (see attached inventory for SERIES V: THE UHS ARCHIVAL FILE), and PHOTOGRAPHS. The series are arranged chronologically, where possible, from most to least recent. Some portions retain the original alphabetical subject order used at UHMC. In addition, SERIES 6 is arranged alphabetically by subject. Although most papers are dated, those without dates are placed behind the dated materials.
The collection consists of textual files and photographs. The majority of the documents are typewritten paper records, although many handwritten pages, printed materials, and photocopies are contained in the collection.
Document types contained in the collection include: correspondence, memos, newsletters, legal and financial documents, reports, statistics, minutes, deeds and titles, photographs, promotional materials, memorabilia, publications and reprints, and many photocopies of newspaper clippings and other documents.
PLEASE NOTE that material from Presbyterian Hospital, Babies' or Children's Hospital, and the Newark Eye and Ear Infirmary also appears in the topical files of SERIES V: THE UHS ARCHIVAL FILE (see attached inventory for SERIES V).
SERIES I. PRESBYTERIAN HOSPITAL, 1912-1949, n. d., w/ gaps.
This series documents the activities taking place at Presbyterian Hospital in Newark before its merger into United Hospitals Medical Center. It consists of annual reports that date back to the first issue in 1912, two oversized minute books (vols. 2 and 3) from Board of Trustee meetings with typed pages and mimeographs, financial documents (such as operating costs and cash statements), hospital unit and committee reports, and general correspondence. Documents are handwritten, typed and signed, mimeographed, and photocopied. The bulk of the series consists of general correspondence and financial records. Often these appear together, arranged alphabetically by subject or correspondent, and then by date. Each file varies. Please note that material from Presbyterian Hospital also appears in the topical files of SERIES V: THE UHS ARCHIVAL FILE (see attached inventory for SERIES V).
SERIES II. NEWARK CHARITABLE EYE AND EAR INFIRMARY, 1880--1944, n. d., w/ gaps.
This series documents the activities of the Newark Eye and Ear Infirmary (NEEI). It begins in 1880 as the Newark Charitable Eye and Ear Infirmary and continues to the 1940s; a decade before its merger into United Hospitals Medical Center in 1958. This series consists of unbound annual reports from the first issue in 1880 to 1944 (with gaps). Please note that material from NEEI also appears in the topical files of SERIES V: THE UHS ARCHIVAL FILE (see attached inventory for SERIES V). For related material, see MC/31.
SERIES III. BABIES' or CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL, 1890-1940, w/ gaps.
This series documents the activities Babies' Hospital in Newark. It consists of bound annual reports from the first issue in 1897 to 1940. Reports were previously photocopied and contain some handwritten notations. The volume's provenance is separate from the collection. However, due to its obvious relationship to UHMC and Babies' Hospital in particular, the volume has been placed with the BABIES' HOSPITAL series. In addition to the annual reports is a bound and boxed volume of the collected papers of Dr. Henry Coit. The contents are in English and French, and a handwritten message from Coit appears on the second page. Please note that material from Babies' and Children's Hospital also appears in the topical files of SERIES V: THE UHS ARCHIVAL FILE (see attached inventory for SERIES V). See also, scrapbook 'In memory of Dr. M. Royal Whitenack.' (RG/MMM, 97-05) for related material.
SERIES IV. UNITED HOSPITALS MEDICAL CENTER, 1873-1980, n. d., w/ gaps.
This series documents the property owned by United Hospitals Medical Center (UHMC). It consists of deeds, titles, mortgages, and various inspections and insurance policies. All the documents are original, either handwritten or typed, and signed. This series also contains attached materials such as letters, receipts, photostat copies of documents, and blueprint maps of Newark properties. Most of the material belonged to Presbyterian Hospital before the merger in 1958. However, because United held the deeds and kept them together with those from years following the merger, they have been placed in this separate UNITED HOSPITALS series. Please note that material from UHMC also appears in the topical files of SERIES V: THE UHS ARCHIVAL FILE (see attached inventory for SERIES V).
SERIES V. THE UHS ARCHIVAL FILE, 1916 --1994, n. d., w/ gaps.
This series documents the activities of United Healthcare Systems, Inc. The files remain in the original order in which the United Hospitals' Medical Library (at United Healthcare Systems) kept them. They are arranged according to subject, and the documents appear in chronological order within the individual folders (where possible). Undated material is placed behind dated material. Topics in this series include: Newark Eye and Ear Infirmary, Obituaries, Photos, United Hospitals Medical Center, Library Memos, Babies' Hospital, Presbyterian Hospital, Children's Hospital, and Orthopaedic Hospital. Please refer to the attached item-level inventory for this series.
SERIES VI. PHOTOGRAPHS, circa 1993-1996, n. d.
This series documents the staff, patients, and events at United Hospitals. It contains black and white and color photographs, negatives, and contact sheets. There is one black and white reproduction of a Babies' Hospital Infants Milk Station, a horse-drawn carriage, before the old building on the corner of Bank and High Streets. This series is arranged alphabetically by subject. Topics covered include: physicians and patients, the UHMC buildings, various children's events, awards ceremonies and dinners, and holiday activities. Photographs of Governors Whitman and Kean are in this collection. Nearly all of the photos come from Children's Hospital. For a more detailed listing, please refer to the container list for boxes 9 and 10.
|1||1||Newark Eye and Ear Infirmary. Annual Reports, 1880, 1924-1944, w/ gaps.|
|2||Babies Hospital. Annual Reports, 1897-1940.|
|3||Babies Hospital. Coit, Henry L., 1890-1916, w/ gaps.|
|4||Presbyterian. Annual Meeting Board of Trustees, 1935-1937.|
|5||Presbyterian. Audit Reports, 1916, 1936-1937.|
|6||Presbyterian. Welfare Federation, 1936.|
|7||Presbyterian. Annual Reports, 1912-1917 (bound).|
|8||Presbyterian. Annual Reports, 1915, 1920, 1922 (unbound).|
|9||Presbyterian. Annual Reports, 1912-1928 (bound).|
|10||Presbyterian. Annual Reports, 1929-1949 (bound).|
|11||Presbyterian. Annual Reports, 1937-1948 (bound).|
|2||1||Presbyterian. Financial Records, Nov. 1927-Dec. 1929, w/ gaps.|
|2||Presbyterian. Financial Records, 1930.|
|3||Presbyterian. Financial Records, 1931.|
|4||Presbyterian. Financial Records, 1932.|
|5||Presbyterian. Financial Records, 1933.|
|6||Presbyterian. Financial Records, 1934.|
|7||Presbyterian. Correspondence and Reports, June 1935-Dec. 1937.|
|8||Presbyterian. Correspondence and Reports, Jan. 1938-Dec. 1939.|
|9||Presbyterian. Correspondence and Reports, Jan. 1935-Dec.1939 (A to K).|
|10||Presbyterian. Correspondence and Reports, Jan. 1935-Dec. 1939 (L to Z).|
|11||Presbyterian. Financial Records, Dec. 1939-Dec. 1941.|
|12||Presbyterian. Financial Records, Jan. 1942-Dec. 1942.|
|13||Presbyterian. Correspondence and Reports, Nov. 1926-April 1935 (A to D).|
|14||Presbyterian. Correspondence and Reports, Sept. 1929-May 1935 (E).|
|15||Presbyterian. Correspondence and Reports, April 1929-Sept. 1947 (F to N).|
|16||Presbyterian. Correspondence and Reports, April 1929-April 1935 (O to Z).|
|17||Presbyterian. Correspondence and Reports, Dec. 1939-Jan. 1943 (A to E).|
|2||18||Presbyterian. Correspondence and Reports, Jan. 1940-Nov. 1942 (F to J).|
|19||Presbyterian. Correspondence and Reports, Dec. 1939-Jan. 1943 (K to Z).|
|3||1||Presbyterian. Correspondence and Reports, Dec. 1935-Nov. 1938.|
|2||UHMC. Deeds and Titles, May 1873-Sept. 1980.|
|3||UHMC. Deeds and Titles, March 1915-Sept. 1963.|
|4||UHMC. Deeds and Titles, Dec. 1874-Dec. 1969.|
|4||1||Presbyterian. Minute Book No., 2, Jan. 1928-May 1942. Waldo C. Genung, Secty.|
|5||1||Presbyterian. Minute Book No., 3, May 1942-Dec. 1945. Walter L. Whallon, Secty.|
|6||1||UHS Archival File. NEEI. Records, 1918, 1930, 1938, n. d.|
|2||UHS Archival File. NEEI. Records, 1930, 1951, n. d.|
|3||UHS Archival File. NEEI. Staff & Work, 1945, 1971, 1972.|
|4||UHS Archival File. NEEI. Minutes, 1911, 1938-1977, w/ gaps.|
|5||UHS Archival File. NEEI. Clippings, 1944, 1969.|
|6||UHS Archival File. NEEI. Eagleton article, 1921.|
|7||UHS Archival File. NEEI. 40th Annual Report, 1919.|
|8||UHS Archival File. Obituaries. Kuk, Eagleton, and Bradley, 1938-1977, w/ gaps.|
|9||UHS Archival File. Obituaries. Various Names, 1974-1990. Arranged Alphabetically.|
|10||UHS Archival File. Photos. Operating Room, n. d.|
|11||UHS Archival File. Photos. Waiting/Patient Room, n. d.|
|12||UHS Archival File. Photos. Calendar Pages, 1974-1975, n. d.|
|13||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Clippings, 1957, 1970-1979.|
|14||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Clippings, 1980-1989.|
|15||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Clippings, 1990-1994.|
|16||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Clippings, Jan.-March 1994.|
|17||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Clippings, April-June 1994.|
|18||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Notices, July 1975, n. d.|
|19||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Promotions, 1974-1992.|
|20||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Events, 1976-1992.|
|6||21||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Bones Art Ball, Oct. 1992.|
|22||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Silver Anniversary, 1984.|
|23||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Policies, 1970-1976.|
|24||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Policies, 1973-1989.|
|25||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Policies, 1972-1977.|
|26||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Capital Budget & Expenditure Report, 1974.|
|27||UHS Archival File. Library Memos, July 1974-Nov. 1977.|
|28||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Advisory Council, May 1972-Dec. 1974, w/ gaps.|
|29||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Department Manager Meetings, 1976, 1977, 1992, 1994.|
|30||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Memos, 1973-1977.|
|31||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Memos, 1982-1992, n. d. w/ gaps.|
|32||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Labor Disputes, 1974-1976.|
|33||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Labor Disputes, 1978.|
|34||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Manager's Labor Relations, n. d.|
|35||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Labor Disputes, 1980-1985.|
|36||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Labor Relations, 1991.|
|37||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Newsletters. United in Practice,1991.|
|38||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Newsletters. Community Newsletter, 1979 (vol. 1, nos. 1, 2).|
|39||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Newsletters. Fifth Channel News, Jan. 1979 (vol. 1, no. 1).|
|40||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Newsletters. United Hospital News, 1959-1969, 1972-1976, 1986-1987 (vol. 1-summer 1987).|
|41||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Newsletters. United Hospital Bulletin, 1960-1970 (vol. 1, no. 1-vol. 11, no. 1).|
|42||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Newsletters. The Pres, Nov. 1990-July 1992, n. d. (vol. 2, no. 1)|
|43||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Newsletters. Newsbeat (missing).|
|44||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Newsletters. United Horizons, 1982, 1984 (vol. 1, no. 1-vol. 3, no. 2).|
|45||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Newsletters. Pharmacy News/Inpharmation, Spring 1982-Spring 1994, w/ gaps.|
|46||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Newsletters. Children's Hospital, Winter 1991, Spring 1992.|
|6||47||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Newsletters. Director's Bulletin, Jan. 1972-March 1975, w/ gaps.|
|48||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Newsletters. ESD Quarterly, 1984 (vol. 1, no. 3).|
|49||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Newsletters. Medical Staff News, March 1973, Summer 1984.|
|50||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Newsletters. Children's Voice, Fall 1987.|
|51||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Newsletters. United Effort, 1993-1995 (vol. 2, no. 3-August 1995).|
|52||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Newsletters. Employee Newsletter, 1974-1976, 1990 (vol. 1, no. 1-vol. 2, no. 9, Summer 1990.|
|53||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Newsletters. Progress Notes, 1987, 1988 (vol. 1, nos. 1 & 2).|
|54||UHS Archival File. Babies Hospital. 1914 Report of MSNJ, n. d. (copy with notes).|
|55||UHS Archival File. Babies Hospital. 53rd-55th Annual Reports, 1948-1950.|
|56||UHS Archival File. Babies Hospital. 1896-1930 Pamphlet, circa 1930.|
|57||UHS Archival File. Babies Hospital. Clippings, Oct. 1963.|
|58||UHS Archival File. Babies Hospital. Financial Reports, 1934-1949.|
|59||UHS Archival File. Babies Hospital. Annual Report, 1949. (copies).|
|60||UHS Archival File. Babies Hospital. Biographical Account of Coit (Fred B. Rogera, The Healing Art, 1966), n. d.|
|61||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian Hospital. Postcards, 1942-1943.|
|62||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian Hospital. Correspondence, 1916-1918.|
|63||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian Hospital. Correspondence, 1917-1920.|
|64||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian Hospital. Correspondence, 1921-1924.|
|65||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian Hospital. Correspondence, 1928 (contains Martland letter).|
|66||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian Hospital. Correspondence, 1929.|
|6||67||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian Hospital. Historical Documents and Pamphlets, 1916-1949, n. d.|
|68||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian Hospital. Report of the Medical Director, 1957 (copy).|
|69||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian Hospital. Women's Auxiliary, 1955-1956.|
|70||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian Hospital. Building & Furnishing Expense, 1941.|
|7||1||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Annual Reports, 1964-1967, w/ gaps.|
|2||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Annual Reports, 1968-1969.|
|3||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Annual Reports, 1961-1974 (bound).|
|4||UHS Archival File. UHMC. 1990 State Department of Health Licensure, 1991.|
|5||UHS Archival File. UHMC. President's Report, 1977-1984, w/ gaps.|
|6||UHS Archival File. Children's Hospital. Medical Staff Lists, 1971-1979, w/ gaps.|
|7||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Medical Staff Lists, 1971-1975.|
|8||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Cowan Memo and Clippings, 1988-1991.|
|9||UHS Archival File. Children's Hospital. Oleske, 1985-1992, n. d., w/ gaps.|
|10||UHS Archival File. Children's Hospital. Anita Falla, 1994 (ECMS Bulletin, Summer 1994).|
|11||UHS Archival File. UHMC. First Annual Meeting, 1959.|
|12||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Basic Demographics, 1975.|
|13||UHS Archival File. UHMC. By-Laws Medical Staff, 1971-1980, w/gaps|
|14||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian. Report of Treasurer, 1916-1924.|
|15||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian. Superintendent's Report, 1916-1924.|
|16||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian. Reports and Accounts, 1919 (copy).|
|17||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian. Report of the Medical Director, 1916-1924.|
|18||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian. Miscellaneous Information on Cards, n. d. (also on paper, handwritten).|
|7||19||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian. Enduring Memories, 1944 (booklet).|
|20||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian. Annual Reports, 1931-1937.|
|21||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian. Annual Reports, 1960-1992.|
|22||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian. Various Reports, 1944.|
|23||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian. Case Reports, 1928-1929.|
|24||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Annual Reports, 1967-1981.|
|25||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Ambulatory Care, Nov. 1977.|
|26||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Ad Hoc Committee, July 1976.|
|27||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Pilot Study by Richard Hahn, 1970 (children).|
|28||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Functional Organizational Chart, circa 1977 (copy).|
|29||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Bioethics Review Committee, 1984.|
|30||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Informational Pamphlets, 1927-1988, n. d.|
|31||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Management Account and Plan Systems, 1977.|
|32||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Board Plan Committee Meeting, Jan. 1994.|
|33||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Five Year Plan (1977-1982), 1977.|
|34||UHS Archival File. Orthopaedic Hospital, 1946, 1988-1989, n. d. (hospital survey, historical information, Max Novich).|
|8||1||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Employee Handbooks, 1969, 1983, n.d.|
|2||UHS Archival File. Children's Hospital Newsletter, 1979-1981.|
|3||UHS Archival File. Children's Hospital Newsletter, 1982-1983.|
|4||UHS Archival File. Children's Hospital Newsletter, 1991-1994.|
|5||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Report on Examination of Financial State (1972-1973), 1973.|
|6||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Civil Disorders, by D. M. Rosenberger, n. d. ("Why Hospitals Begin & How" is missing.|
|7||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Progress Report-Reopening Maternity Service, Feb. 1973.|
|8||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Informational, 1975, n. d. (includes Colt and Luck).|
|8||9||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Newborn & High Risk Infant Transport Service, 1972.|
|10||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Ad Hoc Committee Report, 1975.|
|11||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian. Annual Mtg Bd Trustees, 1936-1941.|
|12||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian. Annual Mtg Bd Trustees, 1942-1950.|
|13||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian. Annual Mtg Bd Trustees, 1952-1957.|
|14||UHS Archival File. Presbyterian. Annual Mtg Bd Trustees, 1958-1961.|
|15||UHS Archival File. UHS Brochure Packet, 1994-1996.|
|16||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Overview, May 1982 (copy 1).|
|17||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Overview, May 1982 (copy 2).|
|18||UHS Archival File. UHMC. Published Articles by Hospital Staff, 1969-1993.|
|9||1||Photographs. Annual Bike Rodeo, 1994.|
|2||Photographs. Award Dinner, n. d.|
|3||Photographs. Barbecue and Picnic, n. d.|
|4||Photographs. "Best Wishes Olivia" retirement party, 1995.|
|5||Photographs. Board Member and Staff, n. d.|
|6||Photographs. Building, 1996.|
|7||Photographs. CAB Annual Awards Dinner, 1995.|
|8||Photographs. Children's Art and Artists, 1995.|
|9||Photographs. Christmas Holiday Activities, 1995.|
|10||Photographs. Construction, 1989.|
|11||Photographs. Construction, 1995.|
|12||Photographs. D' Cruz, Cyril, MD. (awards), n. d.|
|13||Photographs. Doctors and Patients, n. d.|
|14||Photographs. Doctors and Patients, n. d.|
|15||Photographs. Equipment, n. d.|
|16||Photographs. Head Shots (unidentified), n. d.|
|17||Photographs. JCAHO Bowl, n. d.|
|18||Photographs. Gov. Tom Kean, 1995.|
|19||Photographs. Marta Maldonado, 1981.|
|20||Photographs. Ronald McDonald visit, n. d.|
|9||21||Photographs. Miscellaneous Negatives, n. d.|
|22||Photographs. Miscellaneous Photos, n. d.|
|23||Photographs. Photos for Publications, n. d.|
|24||Photographs. Babies' Hospital Ambulance, n. d.|
|10||1||Photographs. National Nurses Week, 1991.|
|2||Photographs. Neo-Natal/Intensive Care Transport Unit and AIDS Fund-raiser, n. d.|
|3||Photographs. New Jersey One Family, n. d.|
|4||Photographs. Nurse Recognition Week, 1994.|
|5||Photographs. On the Job Scenes, n. d.|
|6||Photographs. Pediatric Intensive Care Renovation, 1995.|
|7||Photographs. Press Conference w/ St. Barnabas, 1995.|
|8||Photographs. Bernard Rabinowitz and others, n. d.|
|9||Photographs. Dean Rosetta Ford Sands, n. d.|
|10||Photographs. Hospital Strike, n. d.|
|11||Photographs. Summer Youth Program and Awards, 1995.|
|12||Photographs. United Day, 1995.|
|13||Photographs. United Healthy Heart Run, 1995.|
|14||Photographs. Valentine's Day, 1994.|
|15||Photographs. Valentines Day Event, n. d.|
|16||Photographs. Valentine Heart Party, 1995.|
|17||Photographs. CHAP Volunteers, n. d.|
|18||Photographs. Volunteer Luncheon, 1992|
|19||Photographs. Volunteer Recognition/Award Luncheon, 1995.|
|20||Photographs. Gov. Christine Whitman visit, 1994.|
|21||Photographs. Wizard of Oz, n. d.|
|22||Photographs. WNJR AM 1430, n. d.|
|23||Photographs. Unidentified Events, n. d.|
|24||Photographs. Unidentified Events, n. d.|
|25||Photographs. Unidentified People, n. d.|
|26||Photographs. Unidentified Photos, (8 x 10 in.), 1979, 1989, n. d.|
|27||Photographs. Oversized Contact Sheets. Unidentified Event, n. d.|
Page Revised: 3/14/01
For reference service and information contact:
FAX (973) 972-7474